The first batch of English Muffins were made with a batter that I poured into rings on the griddle. This worked ok but didn’t seem to give the right texture or consistency. I’ve tried a couple of other recipes since then and this one has come the closest to the English Muffins that I’m used to.
* 1 cup soy milk
* 2 tsp active dry yeast
* 1 cup warm water
* 1/4 cup melted shortening
* 6 cups bread flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
I mixed all the ingredients together, then let it slowly rise for a day in the refrigerator. It nearly doubled in size. I pulled it out and rolled it into a sheet between 1/4″ and 3/8″ thick. Using a glass (I don’t have a round cookie cutter) I cut out muffins then placed them on a cornmeal-sprinkled cookie sheet to warm and rise for an hour. They had risen to about double their height. I misted them with water before placing them on a hot griddle. They cooked for about 5-7 minutes per side.
The dough was stiffer than I would like and they didn’t have quite as much flavor as I wanted, but are the closest I’ve made so far. For the next batch, I plan to replace the active dry yeast with sour dough starter and give it longer rise time. I think will help with both problems I had this time.