Turtles and drug smugglers’ plane


Flamingo tongue snail fully out of its shell

Let’s go diving! Woke up well rested after 9.5 hours in bed. Grabbed a quick breakfast and it was time for the first dive. It had been a year since I was last in the water and I felt like I was moving slowly remember the order of everything that had to be done before jumping in. Despite that, I was still the first person in the water. It turns out the water was not quite as warm or as clear as I’d hoped, but it was still just as inviting.

We stayed on reefs in about 30′ of water. There was no need to go much deeper and where we were, the only way to go any deeper would have involved digging. The first dive was at a site called Lobster No Lobster because this was the first site anyone had seen lobster migrate. Unfortunately, we didn’t see any lobster, migrating or not. We did see a barracuda, a lion fish and several Red Edge Goddess Nudibranchs. The best part was following a 2-3′ loggerhead turtle around the reef for a while. It was hard not to think of him speaking in the surfer accent from Finding Nemo.


Engine of the DC-3

Two more day dives, including one on a drug smugglers’ plane. There were six or seven sting rays hanging out around the sunken DC-3. It was fun to watch them travel across the reef. I’ve decided that fish swim, but rays fly. Watching them gracefully glide with only the slightest twist of a wing allowing them to change direction, was fascinating.

We ended the day with a full moon night dive. There was plenty of life to see on the reef, but it was equally fun to swim away from the reef and watch the divers. Their lights sweeping back and forth as they look for cool critters. It looked like something out of a sci-fi movie, either aliens arriving on Earth or people arriving on a foreign planet. They float above the surface and search with lights for the perfect landing site. It was also pretty cool to watch the moon light filter through the surface ripples or wave your hand to see the bioluminescence. There was enough to look at without turning my light on that it stayed off for half the dive.


Hawksbill sea turtle

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Turtles and drug smugglers’ plane

  1. Kris says:

    Sounds Divine and glad you are seeing wonderful wildlife & having fun! Jaimie is having his own version of wildlife exploration. When I let him out really early yesterday morning (6am) he surprised a raccoon on the deck and the fun began. Thank heavens he has the sense to NOT follow raccoons into deep, dark culverts what run under the road (but, ooooohhhh!, he wanted to). He was with me on my rounds today & we had a nice midday walk on the edge of Lake Washington in Shoreline @ the end of 145th. TTFN

  2. Pingback: Walls, Washing Machine and Whales | A Boise Runner's Ramblings

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s